The good news about December is that at least it’s not November, which was the most troubling month of the year. However, December has its own challenges – a solar eclipse in Sagittarius, the final showdown between Saturn and Uranus, and Venus retrograde in Capricorn. But December also has one ray of light that should not be ignored, as Jupiter (the Great Benefic) leaves the sign of Aquarius and moves into Pisces. So, help is on the way.
Thank the gods, just sayin’!
But first, let’s talk about Sagittarius season…
Out of the Phoenix’s ashes, the archer rises and points his arrow into the eternal heavens. It’s a drastic shift in energies from the discomfort we faced during Scorpio season. Scorpio season is about facing our fears, phobias, and working on our dysfunctions (and yes, we all have them); whereas Sagittarius season is about looking to the future — onward and upward.
In mythology, Jupiter, the King of the gods, rules the heavens, and likewise, he is the ruler of Sagittarius. Jupiter was a benevolent deity, but he had a little zipper problem. He couldn’t seem to keep it up! His Greek counterpart, Zeus, was always at odds with his wife Hera because of his numerous affairs and the many children from his illicit unions. Now, we can easily get caught up in the stories of a male deity constantly cheating on his wife, but stories (as repulsive as some may be), in many ways, describe archetypal energies through imagery and artistic prose. However, Zeus’ illicit affairs and conquests are not necessarily about male dominance and womanizing; they reveal this fiery god’s need to fertilize the sea of possibilities. The focus is on tomorrow’s potential and what can be created, not the real world of today, which is a feature found in all the fire signs.
Likewise, Hera (Zeus’s wife) is not merely an insecure, desperate housewife who enacts her revenge on her husband, his mistresses, and his illegitimate progeny. Instead, Hera reflects the real world of obligations, responsibilities, contracts/agreements, and the stabilizing effect of the element of earth. After all, Sagittarius needs grounding in a real-world so it can give birth to creative visions.
During Sagittarius season, we need to leave the past behind and focus on the future. Magically speaking, we can use this potent energy to create goals (realistic ones), juice up our inspiration, and focus on the world we can create. It’s excellent for returning to school, studying something new, visiting faraway places, and increasing personal vitality.
Recommended Candles: Jupiter (Astro Magic), Energy and Will (Blessed Herbal), Everything and then Some (Dorothy Morrison’s Wicked Witch Mojo)
5 Ways to Make the Most of Sagittarius Season
- Fire Magic: Do you remember when you were a child, and you blew out a birthday candle and made a wish? Guess what? You were doing fire magic, and candle magic is one of its chief tools. You can use fire magic any time of the year, but it’s exceptionally potent during Sagittarius season. Other forms of fire magic are scrying, burning incense, and charging objects by the light of the Sun. Use fire magic if you are looking for a boost of energy or a bit of gumption.
Recommended Candles: The Sun (Astro Magic), Energy and Will (Blessed Herbal Candle), Success (Affirmation)
- Intuition Magic: Psychotherapist Carl Jung believed that intuition is linked to the fire element, which Sagittarius is a proud member. You can use intuition magic to boost your psychic abilities, practice divination, and even by scrying with a candle flame and a mirror.
Recommended Candles: Ancestors (Blessed Herbal), Intuition (Affirmation), Clarity (Chakra Magic)
- Good Luck Magic: Jupiter is the planetary ruler of Sagittarius, and he is known for luck and good fortune. But what is luck really? Is it something completely random, or is it stretching our perception to take advantage of presented opportunities? Good luck magic helps put the odds in your favor!
Recommended Candles: Jupiter (AstroMagic), Black Cat (Motor City Hoodoo), Wishin’ Mojo (Dorothy Morrison’s Wicked Witch Mojo.
- Travel Magic: Are you taking a trip and need to make sure that everything goes your way? Sagittarius is associated with long-distance travel – the actual kind and the mental kind. So, you can use this season to plan trips and to open your mind to other viewpoints and ideas. The energy of the season helps remove any obstacles that may be in your way. You can also use this type of magic for astral travel.
Recommended Candles: Mercury (AstroMagic), Meditation (Affirmation), Answers (Chakra Magic)
- Prosperity Magic: Jupiter (the ruler of Sagittarius) is the great benefic and is known for bestowing blessings in the astrology chart. So, like Venus, he is associated with prosperity and financial gain. You can use the energy of Sagittarius to open doors, increase your finances, or get abundance flowing in your life. To make this energy more potent, do prosperity magic on a Thursday. Thursday is the day associated with the King of the Gods.
Recommended Candles: Jupiter (AstroMagic), Prosperity (Blessed Herbal), Road Opener (Motor City Hoodoo)